Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Next fourth, skip the sparklers

What is required to have a good time on the 4th of July in America? Sparklers? Fireworks? A picnic? For me it took only my sister, my camera, a tripod and a mini Maglite. Rebecca and I decided to lay on the mountain by our house and watch the spectacle of little fireworks set off in our neighborhood. Our neighbors didn't disappoint. They seemed to be in competition and I set up my camera just to play around and get a few shots. Once the display was over, I decided to focus on the tree of lighting bugs behind us. There was a nice gate so I illuminated it with the mini Maglite Rebecca had brought along. Then I remembered seeing some long exposure shots where a photographer had run around with a flashlight creating some cool effects with streaks of light, so I decided to give it a go.
Rebecca saw the results and wanted to play at it herself. Generally, Rebecca hates to have her picture taken, but being a student of philosophy I asked; if you're invisible in the shot, is your picture actually being taken? I guess she decided not, because she and I took turns playing with the light. Who knew playing in an empty field at night with a flashlight could be so much fun? Next fourth, skip the sparklers and give your kids a flashlight.

Katie

No comments: