Thursday, January 10, 2008

Glow Worms

When I was a kid, I had a little toy glow worm that glowed in the dark. I always thought it was the coolest toy, but I never imagined the real thing might actually exist, or that I’d have a chance to see it one day. Glow worms are found only in Australia and New Zealand. They are translucent and it’s actually their poop that glows. Bugs are attracted to the tiny luminescent dots in the dark caves that the worms life in. The bugs fly to toward the light and get caught in the worm’s sticky lines that they hang around them.
The worms are very sensitive to light and sound so only our guides had lanterns to take us through the caves. We weren’t supposed to take any photos, but of course I had to sneak a few. I had my flash off and I waited until the guide was talking so no one heard the click on my camera. When they had all the lights off it just looked like a million tiny blue stars around us. The shots I took are from waist level looking straight up. The last photo looks kind of wormy, but it’s actually just me moving the camera during a 30 second exposure. The worms themselves are long and clear and there’s a dot of light they emit at the tail end. This was an amazing sight to see.
Katie

No comments: