Sunday, August 10, 2008

Cherokee, North Carolina

This weekend I went to Cherokee, North Carolina. I stayed with my friends Brie and Andrew, who incidentally are both beautiful people. That should make photographing them easy, but it never is on account of they are both goofballs and don’t ever seem to want to simply sit still for a camera. I’ve shot Brie a couple of times and it seems I always end up with a little series, since one shot never seems to be enough to encompass it all.
I had been to Cherokee once before and I didn’t care for the town. It reminded me of the downtown areas in major ports in Alaska, and still does. Everything was tourist centered and not in a nice way. For example there were shops shaped like giant teepees, even thought the Cherokee people never lived in teepees. Most of the places sold products made in china, and some even had a man in giant headdress outside waving people in. With that said, there are some redeeming qualities to the place. It’s in a beautiful area and there’s a nice village where they have people working at crafts. We were even lucky enough to see a war reenactment in the village. I haven’t seen the show they do at night yet so I can’t comment on that, maybe next time.
Katie

No comments: