Friday, June 10, 2011

Glass Blowing

In Asheville there is a section of town called the River Arts District. There, a community of artists have taken over dilapidated warehouses from our town’s bygone days of manufacturing and turned them into beautiful studios and homes. All the artists leave their doors open so people can just walk in and see them creating and buy a piece if they want.

I was out one weekend looking for interesting people to shoot for a promotion I’m working on (coming soon) when I passed a sign that read, create your own hand blown glass $50. Now I know $50 is a lot to pay for one pint glass, but this is a special pint glass because I helped make it. And glassblowing is not an easy thing for a person to do on their own, you pretty much need an assistant. I got a lesson in glass blowing, some experience actually doing it and I got to help support the amazing community of artists that call Asheville their home. If anyone in the area is interested in making your own hand-blown glass you can visit: www.ashevilleglass.com theyhave regular classes as well.

Katie

No comments: