Friday, January 20, 2006

Tortola

As many times as I’ve been to Tortola already, you would have thought that I would have seen the island before now. But every time I’ve been there, I have either been too busy with work or I’ve gone to one of the other islands near by. I went to Virgin Gorda to the bolder filled beaches and another time I went with some of the crew on a catamaran to Norman Island and in particular to a bar called Willy T’s.

Apparently this bar/boat called the William Thornton is famous in the sailing community. It’s a boat that is anchored in a bay off Norman Island near Tortola and is only accessible by boat. There is a restaurant on one side and a bar on the other, but people go for more than just the food and drinks. It is reputed for having women jump naked off the top story of the bow. If you jump naked, Zeus, the bar tender gives you a T-shirt and yes, I collected myself a T-shirt. I didn’t take any pictures, though some of the dancers had me take pictures of them jumping. I’m sure there are pictures of me floating around somewhere, but I haven’t seen any, and even if I did I don’t think it would be appropriate for a Chronicle. So here are some pictures of Tortola from a driving tour I did around the island.

Katie

No comments: