Sunday, April 24, 2005

Hilo


Our last stop in Hawaii was a rainy one. We were on the big island again which is where the lava is flowing, but the crew had boat drill that morning and by the time we got off the ship, there wasn’t enough time to get to the lava. So we rented a really nice SUV, that I got to drive, and went to see the two big waterfalls that were in the area. Alex didn’t make it out this time either. It was myself and Steve, along with Canadian Steve (remember he was one who had the idea to see wine country in San Francisco but decided not to go.) There was Michael again and Trin and her boyfriend Karl pictured below.

We hiked to Akaka falls and got poured on, but hey, we were in a rainforest after all. It was a beautiful site. Akaka falls is 700 meters tall. You can’t tell by the picture, but it’s humongous. Then we all changed clothes and stopped off at a little Hawaiian cafĂ© in a small town and got Kona coffee and pastries. Next we went to Rainbow falls, and this time we didn’t even have to get out of the car. The falls were right next to the road and it was really coming down by the time we got there, so everyone took pictures from the car. And then it was time to get back on the ship.

And that was Hawaii. I had such a blast and I loved all the islands that we saw. I would love to go back some time and stay for like a week just on Maui or Kauai. There is so much to do and see there. This whole time I had planned to surf, but I was so busy doing everything else, I never got around to it. I guess I will have to save that for next time.

Katie

No comments: