Sunday, December 31, 2006

Ending the transatlantic crusing and the year



On this ship we have two satellite dishes. A little while ago one of the dishes lost power. The dishes are at the top of the ship inside giant domes. I’ve never had such a problem before and I’ve never done any work on a dish. My assistant, Noel, and I have been up a lot to do tests and take pictures to email back to the technicians who work on these things. One time we took some pictures of ourselves. The power loss is happening at a really difficult spot to get at. We need to replace a part that's in the middle of the pedestal so basically we would have to take the entire thing apart. I hope they send a techinican soon.

So that ends the transatlantic part of my contract. I’m so glad I only have to do that once, it was a tough part to get through. I’ve been in South America a few cruises now and I have so many great things to share. It’s New Years Eve and everyone is excited about the parties tonight. We are also getting to the first part of our cruising through Antarctica. Tonight the sun will set around 11pm and rise again around 2am. I should be seeing ice bergs before the year is out. Happy New Years from the bottom of the planet!
Katie

No comments: