Thursday, December 07, 2006

Lisbon

We went into wet dock in Lisbon, Portugal. Wet dock is like dry dock only you don’t take the ship out of water. The ship had new piping put in and carpets and stuff like that. We were there for four days and I was hoping to have the last day to run around and see the sights. But there was too much work. We were kept very busy by the Cruise Director doing chores for our department and then on top of that I had loads of work to do in Broadcast to get ready for South America. With everything that was going on, I only managed to sneak off for a couple of hours. But I saw some awesome sights in that time. There was a really cool castle called Bellum castle, well I don’t know if that’s how it’s spelled, but that’s how it sounds. When the tide comes in it’s surrounded by water.

Close to the castle there was a monument to all the explorers. A lot of explorers launched their expeditions from the port where we were in Lisbon, among them Christopher Columbus and Vasco De Gamma. The monument was pretty impressive. You can see a tiny person standing next to it taking a picture. And I really liked the walkways. They reminded me of Brazil, then I remembered this was where they originated. There was even a Christ Statue in Lisbon just like the one in Rio. I wished I could have spent more time exploring, but I did manage to pack in a lot in a short amount of time.

Katie

No comments: