Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Asheville Rejects Film Festival



What an exciting weekend I've had. I've been too busy to send a chronicle before, but now that it's Monday, I can get back to work and boy do I have a lot to take care of before I ship off at the end of the month. Last weekend we had the Asheville Film Festival and the Asheville Rejects Film Festival. I attended both.

I went to the education series lectures at the Asheville Film Festival and listened to filmmakers, distributors and actors talk about the industry. Our local star Andie McDowell (of Michael, Green Card, and 4 Weddings and a Funeral) came out for one panel. I snapped a fuzzy shot of her from my seat. I didn't want to be a weenie and use the flash. I think the distribution panel was my favorite. I learned a lot and made some great contacts.

A week before the Asheville Rejects Festival there was an article in the paper about it. One of the festival organizers had this to say about our movie: "My personal pick for Best of Show is a film called 'Stiff,' locally done, a fantastic film. The quality of cinematography is great, the story too. Why it wasn't selected by the Asheville Film Festival I'm not sure." STIFF opened at the Asheville Rejects Film Festival on Saturday night to a large audience. I was pretty stoked at the end of our screening, everyone laughed when they were supposed to and clapped at the end, you can't ask for more than that. I've attached some photos that our camera assistant from the shoot, Paul Choi, took on the night of the festival.

If all that wasn't enough, STIFF won the Best in Show Award! That's right, we've got an award winning film on our hands. I wasn't able to go to the awards ceremony, but Nelson, the director was there to accept.

So "what now?" you ask. It's time to keep plugging. Now that we're done, we've got to make and mail copies to everyone that worked on the movie. We'll send STIFF off to more festivals, and I'm going to send a copy to those independent distributor guys I met and we'll see what happens. I'm really excited to see where it goes. We never could have made this movie without the fantastic cast and crew who worked long hard hours to get the movie made. Thanks everyone who came out to the screening, we really appreciated your support.

Katie

No comments: