Friday, March 18, 2005

Pisco Sours

In the Southern part of Chile I went to an estancia where they raise sheep. They did a shearing demonstration and a herding demonstration where a cowboy/shepard was on horseback directed his dogs who moved the sheep around. I’ve never seen sheep herded that way before...come to think of it I don’t think I’ve ever seen sheep herded. There were lots of cute dogs on the ranch and we had another spectacular meal.

When we arrived, we were welcomed into an old farmhouse full of antiques and were served Pisco Sours. Now a Pisco Sour is a very small innocent looking Chilean drink, but man does it pack a punch. It tastes good, like a hard lemonade and I had two, because I thought they were serving different drinks, but they were the same drink just in different glasses. Right after that we had lunch and I had a glass of red wine with my lamb. I was talking and laughing and having a great time. Then I stood up. It wasn’t until that very moment that I realized I was drunk. Sandy the sports coordinator happened to be along with me on this one and now every time I pass him in the hall he always says something like, ‘hey, Katie, you’re looking a little shaky there. Have you been sampling the Pisco Sours again?’ or ‘Katie, going to the crew bar tonight? They’re serving your favorite, Pisco Sours.’ I’ll never live it down.

Katie

No comments: