Sunday, June 19, 2005

Hubbard Glacier


Hubbard Glacier is so cool. It’s one of those places the ship goes to and cruises around and no one gets off…no one except me and the ship’s photographer. We were so lucky! We got to ride in one of the ship’s tender boats all around the glacier and icebergs to get some up close and personal video footage and pictures. I touched an iceberg! The guy that was driving the boat got us right along next to one so we could all touch it. That was so cool! And the weather our first time out there was incredible. All the seasoned crew were saying they had never seen the sky so clear at Hubbard Glacier. I am so spoiled! I love it!

Steve got some great shots of the boat and me on it. It’s hard to tell just how big the glacier is and how close we got until you look at the last picture in the bottom right corner, you will see the tiny orange tender boat with the glacier looming in the back. And keep in mind we were still a good distance away from the glacier itself. That has to be the pinnacle of my Alaska experiences so far. But just you wait. There are more adventures to come.

Katie

No comments: