Thursday, June 16, 2005

whale watching


So Dan and I were hiking in the woods and we came across these two grizzly bears! Well okay they were behind a fence, but we were hiking. We went to Grouse Mountain in Vancouver and did the Grind. There is a hiking trail on Grouse Mountain that goes practically straight up. It’s 1.8 miles long and has an elevation of 2,800 feet and they call it the Grouse Grind. Dan and I did it in just over an hour. I had to stop and take pictures a couple of times and it was a good excuse for a break because it was a hard hike. Everyone was steaming and you could see their breath as they huffed and puffed. At the top of Grouse Mountain there was an enclosure that had some bears and wolves and that’s how I got those great shots. I haven’t seen any bears on any of the hikes that I’ve done in the wilderness. I think my laugh is too loud and I scare them all away, plus Dan and I know better than to take food and if we do a really deep in the woods hike we don’t shower the night before. It’s kinda gross, but we haven’t had any bear encounters yet.

I’ve been whale watching a lot in Alaska. I can’t get enough of it. I’ve seen humpbacks on their own doing lunge feeding where they dive down and then spring out of the water with their mouths open catching fish. And I’ve seen groups of them doing bubble netting where they all go below and blow bubbles to catch fish and then they all swoop up together and eat them. One time a whale came up really close to our boat and took a breath and all the vapor wafted over to us. I’ve never been so excited to smell such stinky fish breath in my life.

Katie

No comments: