Monday, February 06, 2006

Scuba Diving


I got to go scuba diving for the first time in my life and I loved it. I got on a tour for a non-certified scuba dive in St. Thomas. We did a one tank shallow dive preceded by an overview of scuba basics with an instructor who led us on the dive. What an incredible experience. I was a little nervous at first. Scuba diving is just one of those things that I thought wasn’t for me, but after doing it, I can’t wait to get out and try it again.

First they gave us our gear then we stood in shallow water with the instructor and went over how to clear your mask if you got water in it and how to equalize. Then we got to put on the mouthpiece and breath the air from the tank. Once the group was comfortable with that we had to all sit on the bottom and just breath. The other woman in the group and I did perfect, but the guys had a little trouble. Once we were all sorted we went out following the guide.

I saw some incredible things in the reef we did the dive at that I can’t share with you. Unfortunately my camera didn’t work while I was on the dive. When I got to the surface I found out that the battery had come unseated in the camera and I was able to put it back.

I went back in the water real quick and got one picture of a long fish on the surface of the water and I had someone take a picture of me with the tank on standing on the beach and that’s it. I might be going out again next week with one of the shore excursion staff who has wanted to go, but didn’t want to do it alone. I graciously offered to accompany her.

Katie

No comments: