Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Swimming with Dolphins


There are a few things that one must do in one’s lifetime. Travel outside your own country, go skydiving, zip lining, wind surfing, add scuba diving to that list, whale watching (Don’t support Sea World either go see the real thing in the wild) hike up a mountain or two, go snow skiing, and before you die, swim with dolphins.

I had the opportunity to swim with dolphins in Tortola. I had been once before in Mexico, but this time was even better. The encounter that I did was not just standing in a row and petting them as they passed and getting your picture taken. There was also one point where the whole group went out to the middle of the holding area and the dolphins swam up next to you and did different tricks or swam by and let you touch them. Amazing as that was, that wasn’t even the best part. The best part was when you went out one by one in the water and waited while the trainer signaled the dolphin to go get you. They swam up next to you upside down in the water and waited for you to grab their two fins. Then they swam back to the trainer dragging you with them. It was the coolest thing ever. You could feel the dolphin swimming under you as they pulled you along.

I have had such an amazing trip this cruise, but this week has to be the highlight of my contract. I got some amazing underwater pictures of the dolphins when they were near. It was hard to get a shot because the water was a little murky, but when they were right next to me, I got a few good ones.

Katie

No comments: